Elevrecension: Never, never

Never Never by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher


I have read the book “Never Never” written by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher. I have previously read other books published by Hoover, and have admired her work for quite some time which is why I chose to read this book. Never Never is part one in a fiction trilogy series and was first published January 2015.

Colleen Hoover is a Texas born American author of fifteen published works that all fall into categories like New adult and Young adult. The majority of her books have reached the New York Times bestseller list and earned her several awards, making her an acclaimed author with good critics under her wing. Two of her works have made it in the film industry with Confess expected to air as a series this spring, and Ugly love to begin filming later this year. Hoover is also the founder of the Bookworm Box, a subscription that lets readers receive autographed books whilst the profits are donated to various of charities.

Tarryn Fisher is a South African author, who now is settled in Seattle, America with her family. She has published ten novels and is a New York Times bestseller. She currently owns a fashion blog and claims that she is a slytherin.

The book comprises two teenage characters, Charlie and Silas. Both suddenly find themselves in an unfamiliar environment that they don’t seem to recognize but according to everyone else, should. They have forgotten their own names and lives, and likewise everyone else’s. Through chapters that switch between each of their perspectives, we get to follow them in their journey of trying to regain their memory.
Even though the characters themselves are confused as to who they are, we do quickly figure out that Charlie and Silas were in love before their memory loss, although in an unhealthy relationship, and that they had a troubled past when it came to their family lives. The book takes place in Louisiana with some events occuring in their school while others did outside of school.

In the beginning of the book, I found Charlie very narrow minded and childish. She put on a rude mask and behaved in a very disrespectful manner to Silas. She claimed that because of the memory loss, they technically didn’t know each other and that they didn’t owe each other anything. Firstly, I found that very hypocritical, when a person meets a stranger it is a moral requirement to be nice to them. Secondly, I believe that they actually did owe each other a lot, seeing that they had a close bond previously and both were in the same situation, they needed to work together and find a solution. Although near the end of the book, I have to admit, I think she opened up a lot and unveiled other traits to her that made her way more likeable and let me as a reader gain an understanding for her behaviour. I do think that the whole situation put her in uncomfort and fear making her behave in the way that she did.
One thing that I deeply admire about Charlie is that when she discovered that her sister and herself had a bad relationship before the memory loss, she tried to fix it and be nice to her sister which I found really nice.

Silas was quite the opposite in my opinion, instead of running away and trying to forget, he did everything in his power to regain understanding of his life. He used every situation in his advantage in order to seek more information about himself and Charlie and everyone around him. He was very vulnerable and showcased emotions several times during the book, especially towards Charlie, who he quickly developed a crush on, although I did find that inappropriate and sexist at times, with him making comments that I found very selfish and lacked consideration for her point of view, seeing that she was uncomfortable with intimacy, he should’ve respected that more. All in all, I really liked his character though, as he seemed like a way more approachable person than Charlie. But I do think that the differences in them made the book really interesting and thought awakening. I really like that the book switched between their characters letting the reader witness the events through two very different perspectives.

I have very mixed thoughts about this book, in fact, as much as I like it, i dislike it just as much, which I think is very interesting as I usually have one blunt opinion about a book. I think the plot was very unique, it’s very impressive that although the main characters didn’t have an understanding of their lives, I as a reader felt like I still got to know them on a personal level, I love that the story was told from their perspective making me feel like I was experiencing everything with them.
I really respect the realistic touch the authors very strongly put in the book by showcasing the characters differences and arguments, it wasn’t all rainbows and glitter, that would’ve made it very boring and predictable to read which would have made me lose interest in the book. I also generally like the way the book is written, the language, the dialogues and basically the way the story is told, which again, the credit goes to the authors. Having read other books from Colleen Hoover, I had high expectations for this book, and I was not disappointed. I could totally recognize her way of writing, and I never felt like I was reading a book by Tarryn Fisher, which to me indicates that they are very similar authors which I find very positive, and I will definitely have to check Fisher’s work out.

I strongly dislike the way the friends are written in this book solely because they are written in a way that make them look very oblivious. I doubt that anyone close to someone with memory loss wouldn’t notice. If you know someone really well you can immediately tell when they are acting even the slightest bit different. I would’ve wished for someone besides the main characters to notice what was going on and help Charlie and Silas, but that maybe would’ve diminished the whole point of the book. Another drawback about this book was the ending. I was looking forward to a solution or even a clue to what was happening but I got nothing which made me feel like reading the book was a waste of time. I feel like the obscure ending made the book seem like one big mess of repetitive events including confused characters.
Luckily this is the first book and I assume the other two books include answers and eventually a better ending. So to be honest, ending the book on a cliffhanger was a very smart but annoying move.

All in all, I think the book is a well written fiction that I would recommend to teenagers or anyone interested in mysterious books really. I like the realistic personalities of the main characters and I found them very relatable. I’m a big fan of the authors and I think they are very talented, and I will definitely read the following books in the trilogy.

Yakeen, 9H2

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Sommarboktips: Kära dagbok (jag hatar dig)

Recension: Mörkt svek

Boktips- En sekund i taget